Every parent has that ONE thing they swear their children will never do. For example, I have one friend who vows NEVER to put anything Winnie The Pooh on her little one. While another friend swears her children will never eat McDonald's. Well for me it was Crocs. I swore, up and down, left and right, that my children would NEVER wear those rubbery foam contraptions on their precious tootsies. Those "shoes" were foul and banned from the House of Cline....until last week.
You see, Boogie's sensory integration disorder makes certain things in his daily life a challenge. Our latest challenge had been shoes. I had taken him to countless stores, tried on numerous styles, bought and returned umpteen pairs of shoes...and had struck out every time. His canvas shoes were hanging by a thread, literally, but they were the only shoes I could get him to wear. Until one day last week at Mason's swim class. Yeah, the class Boogie backed out of because of water issues. Gotta love this kid. While Mason was busy peeing in the pool, Boogie found Mason's fauxcrocs (why Mason had them is still a mystery to me) and started tromping around in them. I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES! The kid had on SHOES!
I had tried for a MONTH to get shoes on this kid and he wanted fugly foam clogs?! Oy. But I had reached my wits end...he'd taken the fight out of this dog...so on the way home I ran into the CVS pharmacy where I found a knockoff pair...Doggers. Really?? What the freak is a Dogger?? Who the heck came up with that name?! Anydogger, Boogie loved them. It was a match made in shoe heaven. He even slept with them that night. Truth. I'd be appalled if it wasn't so dang cute.
It was my worst nightmare come true...my kids loved DOGGERS...*tear* and to make it worse, the Little Miss kept on stealing Boogie's shoes because now SHE wanted them. Do you hear that? It's my heart BREAKING! I thought I had taught her better than that. Apparently she inherited Jordan's fashion gene. WAHH!!
So being the AMAZING mother that I am, I went to 6, that's right, count 'em folks...6 CVS stores today looking for a pair of friggin Doggers in her size!! UGH! Not only did I find her size, but I bought enough pairs to keep my kids in Doggers for the next 3 years in case they decide to go on shoe strike again. I give up. I didn't just lose the battle, I lost the friggin WAR!
I'm sad to say that all my kids now have their beloved Doggers complete with jizzlets, or giblets, or jibbitz. Whatever the heck they're called. But on the bright side, I have 3 happy anklebiters that think their mom is pretty much the raddest mom ever. And I can't argue that...
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)













LOL you crack me up girlfriend! P.S. There is an award waiting for you at my blog today so go check it out when you have time! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteOh no! Ugh...Crocs! That is one fashion trend I will NEVER understand.
ReplyDeletePacifiers were the one thing I swore my kid would never use. First night in the hospital though, I fed the boy, we changed his diaper and he stilled cried for about 2 hours. Stonewall and I were (obviously as first time parents) at a huge loss. The nurse suggested a sucker and I cringed at that for about half a second before I finally gave in. It worked. *sigh*
Yeah they are pretty ugly but I would have done the same as you.. and just think they have to be easy to clean and great in the rain.
ReplyDeleteYou rock..
hee hee well I think crocs and "doggers" are ugly too, but they're much better on kids than on adults.. Just talk him into some fashion sense before he hits high school.. It doesn't matter much before that anyway!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE these shoes for my kids and the main reason why is that they can get them on by themselves. :)
ReplyDeleteI was the same way!! I finally gave in with my three year old cause it was the only way to keep shoes on his feet this past summer!
ReplyDeleteI don't even know who you are anymore! :)
ReplyDeleteI actually think it's OK for kids to wear Crocs. And nurses.
I CAN'T STAND CROCS! LOL I think they are so ugly however everyone I know who has them LOVES THEM! I guess they are super comfortable so I can see why kids love em. I have to admit I do like how you can put the jewels on the kids ones. LOL
ReplyDeleteI had this problem, too. They're ugly as sin, but they're just so damn comfy!
ReplyDeleteWhen I was "teaching" in China, I was on my feet all the time and they were killing me, so I bought fake Crocs.
However, I left them in China. I couldn't bring myself to wear them in the states.
I feel your pain.
I am in TOTAL agreement with you on the Crocs or Doggers or wth ever you wanna call them. Baby Brother's boys all wear them and I have always hellz to tha no. But, I understand your unique situation with the Boogie-boy. You have not lost. You've recovered some sanity. Love ya!
ReplyDeleteI was totally anti-crocs too but then my evil parents bought Logan several pairs last summer behind my back. Of course, they became his favorites so he had to have them in several colors and refused to just keep them at Grandma's house. At least one pair had to come home with us. Ugh.
ReplyDeleteYou are a good mom!
ReplyDeleteDoggers are allowed, winnie the pooh....never. Let them go naked instead. =)
lmao because i vow not buy crocks or anything related to them...lets just hope it never shows up in my house!!! but hey at least you have shoes that the little one will actually wear :)
ReplyDeleteWith me it is character shoes. You know the ugly butt tennis shoes with a big picture of Elmo or the red car from Cars on the side. I hate those things.
ReplyDeleteJizzlets. Buahahahahaha. That made my 13 year old adolescent male brain giggle. :)
ReplyDeleteThe kids I nannied for LOVED their crocks. I don't think there is anything parents (or nannies) can do about it. :(
Yuck! My son wears them too! When he first asked for a pair of them (for his birthday no less! really??) I didn't know what in the hell he was talking about. They'd just come out so there were very few stores in our town who carried them. When I finally found them and saw what they looked like I just knew these weren't the shoes he was talking about. Sadly, they were!
ReplyDeleteI shudder at the thought of putting those damn things on my feet! Ewww!
Dang. You ARE the raddest mom ever. I'm with you. Over my dead body will my kids feet ever have crocs on them. We HATE those things.
ReplyDeleteCrocs and Barney are my two Kryptonites.
You're a far cooler mom than I.
Oh man... all the moms at the supermarket are gonna hate you when they see your kids. ;)
ReplyDeleteNo seriously, I think it's cool you gave in to make your kids happy.
Although I still can't fathom how rubber can be comfortable.
They may not be the most fashionable shoes, but I love my mary jane crocs...love.them.
ReplyDeleteI'm not too into them either (I'm not as rad as you ;-) ) but I buy my son a pair each year so he has something to wear if he has to run out to the garage or check the mail and doesn't want to make the big effort to put on lace up shoes (teenager) - although half the time he just runs out in his socks
ReplyDeleteI love the photo of your kids doggers. If I took a photo of my son's pair - in size 11 (men's) it wouldn't look quite as cute
Aw! I think its great. I let my 3 yr old go to the store and the park in his Spiderman slippers the other day. Ugh. I never thought I'd do that! But you know, it was waaaaay easier than fighting him about it, and it didnt hurt anything.
ReplyDelete*sigh* Sometimes it's just not worth the fight, lady. I feel your pain though, I'm not a fan of those ugly things either. But, your kids love them, they are (sadly) trendy, and they are easy on you since they're on and off, anti-bacterial and waterproof! Sounds like a hidden win to me.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever realize just how much sacrificing you'd do as a mom?
ReplyDeleteEwww, haha!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't mind a pair of Crocs personally, but Tristan used to have a knock-off pair, too. Isaac will wear them when he's old enough. I'd get Tristan another pair too but I want him to have sandals for the summer.
ReplyDeletenoooooooooo!! I can't believe you caved and allowed your kids to wear those!!
ReplyDeleteBut lets be real, I'd probably let my kid run around stripper heels and a top hat if it made him happy!
love your face!
I don't know what it is about those shoes but kids love them. My nephew came over once and took my daughter's crocs (they are almost the same age) He wore them for 2 days straight, showered and slept in them. He loves them. Nice thing about them is that they have no laces. No laces to trip on, or to have to retie over and over again
ReplyDeleteOh geez....they aren't THAT bad. They certainly are not the fashion statement of choice, but hey, Boogie is wearing shoes! Small victory! Can't take that as a loss Mamacita!
ReplyDeleteIm with ya, I think they are fugly...but Id buy them for both my girls if they wanted them in two seconds flat
ReplyDeleteoh no. you have gone crock on me. or dogger. but i understand COMPLETELY. as long as you don't start wearing them, we will be ok! ahhahaha. well, even if you DO start wearing them, i won't give you too much crap! :)
ReplyDeleteI refuse to buy those, although I DID try a pair on last week to see what the fuss was about. They ARE cute on kids! And the Jibbitz add personality ;)
ReplyDeleteI think when I am a parent I will refuse soda pop...until they are much older and only if it's a special occasion. And I'm not fond of Fruit Snacks either but my future MIL LOVES giving our nephews fruit snacks. Yuck.
Uggh, my oldest has flat feet, we bought him some of those and it gave him the biggest blisters he couldn't wear shoes for a week. Now...he cries when he sees a pair!
ReplyDeleteno, no, no, NO, NO, NOOOOO!!!! NOT THE (FAUX)CROCS! my eyes! i'm blind! my ears! GONE!!! i have no faith in anything anymore!!!
ReplyDeletehahah aw, there are worst things n the world. And I will say it's hard to hate crocs when they're that small and on little feeties!!!! :) THey're cute like that. I used to do Underwriting for Crocs though and they had a lot of claims filed from the shoes getting stuck/hurting the child at the top of the escalator- so careful there!
ReplyDeleteOy is right. I said the same thing about croc.sigh.
ReplyDeleteThe minute you swear you will never, is the moment you are doomed as a mother....it's like fate. That THING you swear against will HUNT YOU DOWN! Pick your battles, Mama, pick your battles! You can't fight them all!
ReplyDeleteDoggers?? Would love to meet the marketing moron, errr, genius, who came up with that one. Hahahaha.... well, I suppose as long as the kiddos are happy, right?!?!
ReplyDeleteI hate crocs too! Makes me glad that my "kids" don't wear shoes!
ReplyDeleteHaha! I hate them too but, they are Jackson's summer shoe of choice what can you do. Can't fight with my two year old for sure. I lose ever time. I need to go by CVS and get some knock off's!
ReplyDelete