Friday, August 28, 2009

Is it Saturday yet?

Words can not express how excited I am for Saturday. Perhaps an interpretive dance can though...I'll work on that for you. My heart's racing just thinking about Saturday! Twice a year this shindig happens and every time is better than the next. I suppose I should tell you what I'm talking about...I'm about to reveal some of my inner dork to you....are you ready?

The 14th Annual Monster Garage Sale!!!

GLORIOUS!! Whoop Whoop!!

That's right ladies! Over 200 homes of other people's crap just ripe for the picking! You can't see me but I'm shaking with excitement right now. And I will be there. Oh yes, I will....with fanny pack in tow (it's a garage saler's must have for fall '09) and a stack of ones for all these cheap arses.

{My radical fanny pack! Don't hate.}

Now I know some completely crazy people out there don't like garage sales. I get it. I however, LOVE them. Ahhh, the thrill of the hunt!! Because you see, I'm no rookie. No sirree. You're talking to a seasoned veteran right here.
{I wish I had this to place upon my dome}

Paying full price?? BAH! Not this girl. I was born with the wheelin'n'dealin' blood. The peso pinching runs deep in my veins (at least when it comes to garage sales because they're SUPPOSED to be cheap). PLUS, the area where this is held is fabulous! Because yes, I have garage sale standards. I don't go to just any dive to shop. Straight past the ghetto and into the gated communities is where I venture! It is in such a beautiful upscale neighborhood and I can't wait to take their gently to mildly used possessions at a bargain. I've got some kids rooms to decorate up in this piece!! This is the part where I do a mildly wicked chuckle and rub my greedy hands together.

Hopefully I'll be able to beat some of those hardcore early birds. You know those people. The obnoxious ones that show up an hour EARLIER than you're supposed to, trying to gaffle all the good stuff, usually right in the middle of when you're setting up shop. The best is when they just roll by slowly without even stopping. They check out the goods from a distance because heaven forbid they waste any of their time!! Hello, ruuuude. At least wave! Ughhh. I loathe those people.

But I'll be there with my game face on and my fanny pack securely attached. I've been preparing for this day...it's time to put all my training to use. Hopefully I come back with some fantastic loot!

In other news, Jordan's birthday is on Monday and I have NO FRIGGIN CLUE what to get him. Any suggestions??

And thankfully, my mood has lifted and the days are getting better. Curses to this week! HISS!! So glad it's almost over!

Last but not least...I have an AWESOME surprise in store for next week. I'm dying to share, but I just can't!!! But soon, my loves, soon.....have a fabulous Friday!

56 comments:

  1. I'm number ONE?! Insomnia works in my favor.

    You go girl...let me know what you find! I don't think I've ever been to a proper garage sale! DONT look at me like that! hahaha! I need help!

    So glad you're feeling better. Also? SUPER excited this week is over!!!!! You're in my thoughts as usual! XOXO!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaaaah. What is funniest is that you call them "Fanny Packs". A "Fanny" is something wholely different in the UK. :-/ We call them "Bum Bags"!! Weirder!

    Loving your Garage sale attitude - I have similar obsession with charity shops in affluent areas! You definitely get a better class of tat!

    Good luck at the sale!

    LBM xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Alicia! You would totally get along real well in my neighborhood then, they do the annual 'garage sale stomp' (totally my own term) and there are hundreds of houses. I've never taken part, too manic for me, LOL! I can see you scoring quite well...you'll have to share your loot with us.

    If you like movies, pop by and play along in my new meme today!

    God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha we dont have them in malta sadly enough...which is a shame i love ruumaging...loved that fanny bit do you know what it means in the UK and Malta?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll be the garage sale queen bee up in there. Fanny VONZIPPER in tow :)-
    The early birds drive me bonkers. They really do get all crazy on ya. It's like a teeny bop concert for them. All they need now is to camp via sidewalk.
    OOOOooo come date night you better be snappin' pics of that lovely piece. You know...the purple one...hint...hint!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh lordy i'm BAAAAAACK!!! You didn't...oh but YOU DID. You went and got yourself a mascot for this here blog and you named him ELVIS of course :)- I could seriously sit here and watch him. He's got some moves ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting from SITS. Totally great post! Love your blog header too. I personally love yard sales, hand me downs, and all those sorts of things! I've been living in England for a year and here they call it a "Car Boot Sale" - basically you load up your stuff to sale in the "trunk" or "boot" of your car - drive to a field where a sale is happing - pay 2 pounds and set it up. I'll try to get pictures and post on my blog. It's an interesting way of yard saling that is for sure!

    Hope you find some great things tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't hit up many garage sales but I love thrift stores. I dream of finding some nasty artwork, taking it on Antiques Roadshow, and walking away with 6 figures in my pocket...

    Have a blast tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? Doesn't everyone want a fanny pack these days?

    ...stopping by from SITS...

    Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

    pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry, still giggling about fanny pack ha ha xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I love garage sales too...just don't like to HAVE them. Someone always shows up 2 hours before the posted start time, people constantly try to ask if you'll take a quarter on an item you marked fifty cents. Ick. I deal with people all week, don't want to deal with them on weekends. But if I could ever motivate my butt to get out of bed on Saturdays I'd be a garage sale hopping fool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A girl after my own heart! I love me some garage sales! We never make much money from the ones we've held, but kicking the hagglers in the shins as they walk up is always good for amusement purposes. Fun! Let us know what you come up with :)

    Happy early birthday Jordan!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just make sure to pump some iron today before you go, never know when an old lady or some chick wearing a baby might get in your way. And everyone knows if they get an elbow or pushed around while reaching for what you want they deserved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE GARAGE SALES!!!!! wish I could join you... show us what you get!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like fuuun! WIsh we lived closer and we could make it a family Trip. Oh meaning jut me, you, Mom, and noooo kids. ;) love ya!

    ps. I really need TO HAVE a yard sale and get rid of half the crap in my garage. And make some $$. But the yard sales around here arent very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will pretend I never saw that "fanny pack." I hope you steer clear of the fashion police...I am thinkin' you will be safer that you do not own that hat. LOL! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't wait to see what you find tomorrow. Maybe another gorgeous fanny pack? Now in Norwegian they are called "Rumpetaske"... which means ASSBAG! Yepp, what a fashionable word for such a fashionable accessory!

    Make sure you wear your stilettos! They are perfect as attack weapons if someone is trying to grab something you want. Just stab their foot and as they are screaming and jumping up and down smile apologetically and get your loot. Everything is allowed in love, war and garage sales!

    Take lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm soooo jealous! I wish they had an event like this close to where I live. It would be so much easier than all the house hopping I have to do in the summer. Can't wait to see pics from your day of jubilee!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my! that is funny....people rolling by real slow......HOW RUDE! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. my favorite things are all from rummage/garage/antique sales. I got a wooden dough mold once and now see it in the new Pottery Barn catalog!

    I'd get him season tickets to a fave sport team. I usually get my hubby tix to his college's football season. So he can sit there with a beer and try to talk to the college guys. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  21. HELL YESS LADY! i'm with you. FREAKIN LOVE me some garage sale madness. and shhhhii...i too shop only in the gated communities. i'm not wasting any time in the hood. WORD. haha.

    have an awesome good time and...

    HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. good luck getting the good stuff. don't be afraid to throw some elbows!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I SO MISS the REAL garage sales from the South - we now live in the Northeast and they are NOTHING like the South's garage sales with the "cheap" prices on other people's "goods"! Be sure and take pictures of all your finds! Can't wait to see everything you got! Have fun! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think that sounds freaking awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I Just found your blog from Lola B's! :) Thanks for the laughs. I will be back again :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. We made decent money off the yard sale we had, we would have made more if we hadn't been in a neighborhood with a bunch of Mexicans who would haggle over a quarter. Hopefully you can find some good shit.

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is one HAWT fanny pack! (whatever that means in the UK...we always called them that in the 80's too, when the style was new and fresh!) I love that it has NEON on it, makes it more authentic.

    Have fun, I'm sure you'll share with everyone all your GONGAS! We'll be having a moving one soon I'm sure, and I'm not looking forward to the early-early birds....Really? Did you not see what time this shindig starts?? Would you show up an hour early for a dinner party? No??? Hmmmm..... LOSERS.

    As far as Jordan goes, I dunno....The boy has everything he could possibly want, right? Maybe wrap yourself up with a big HOT PINK bow?!
    LOL The last b-day gift KC and I got him was a team effort, (and some years ago...like 4) some screen printed tee from Nordies asking the ladies if they had gotten their tickets to the gunshow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I LOVE garage sales, too!!! And I like going to upscale neighborhoods, too. They sell their old kids' clothes from GAP and stuff for cheap! And my kid looks good!!

    Birthday presents...omg, I wouldn't even know. I don't remember the last birthday gift I got Big A (or the last one he got me). lol

    Very excited about this mystery surprise; always good when it comes from you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Maybe you'll find him a matching fanny pack at a garage sale. I kid, I kid!
    Don't be afraid to do the throw down on some people if you have to!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love a good sale!

    I could totally give you some dance lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can't remember the last time I went to a garage sale. I don't like poor people activities. I like to throw money out the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You go girl! If anyone can pull off a fanny pack it's you! Now, go make us proud and make sure you tell us what you find! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE me some garage sales! I need to have one of my own....empty out my garage! Hope you find some AWESOME deals!

    Hmm..birthday present...does he like Tommy Bahama shirts...I have some in all sizes for 50 bucks!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love me some yard sales too! I get all friggin giddy just thinking about it...and 50% days at Goodwill...girl dont get me started!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, I'm stopping in from SITS! I just wanted to share some comment love. I absolutely LOVE yard sales! I have found some amazing stuff there! However, my latest craze is Craigs List. *sigh* I desperately need a 12 Step Program.

    I hope you have fun at your sales and have an amazing weekend!

    Many Blessings,

    Teresa <><

    A link to the story of why I blog:

    http://toomanyheartbeats.blogspot.com/2009/07/document.html

    ReplyDelete
  36. OMG..
    I saw the words "MONSTER GARAGE SALE" and nearly peed myself.
    Gawd i love garage sales. Be sure an pack a snack. there's no stopping for lunch is there's mega deals to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oooh, you are one lucky girl! I love to sale. Even hubby goes with me. We only go once or twice a year, but the block/neighborhood ones are the B-E-S-T! Have fun & I wish you a bounty of goodies:)
    ~Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  38. You know what I live more than a garage sale? The flea market, in all it's dusty trashy glory!

    As for a gift idea...maybe pick your husband's favorite actor, comedian, or director and see how many DVDs you can find with them in it at the garage sale. Stick in a bag, slap a bow on it, and wah lah a very personal gift!

    I did that for my hubby with Will Ferrel movies. He got Anchorman, Talledega Nights, and Old School for his birthday. We snuggled up on the couch and made out between laughing at the funny parts.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  39. you sound giddy beyond belief! and i hope you find some radical deals!

    and a fanny pack?!?!? WOW! well, to each his/her own! OWN IT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I say you get him a matching fanny pack. You know, so you guys can go together and bask in this momentous occasion as a unit. He'll like that.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. have a fun weekend girly!
    i love the fanny pack!! haha!
    when i was young i used to go to garage sales every week with my mom on her day off. i miss them. i haven't been to one in years...no one seems to like to go anymore and i'm not going alone, what if the person is a creeper or something.
    i did have a garage sale last spring and it brought the strangest people...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I wish we had garage sales like that around here! I would definitely be more in to them if we did.

    Glad you are feeling better chica!!! And you are such a tease!!! Give us a hint of what's to come purty purty pleasssseee!!! I will sneak you ice cream......;-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. We have something similar like this going on in the SF Bay Area. Only instead of peoples houses, Goodwill and the Samartan house and someone else put all their stuff in 1 huge warehouse and discounted it all even more or something. I saw it on the news lol. Looked pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  44. I missed the garage sale carnival that they had in my neighborhood...stupid work.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I hope you find some awesome deals! have a great weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. pick up something at the garage sale for Jordan for shizzle. I would have stopped by earlier but I was in the throes of Napkin Nirvana :D

    ReplyDelete
  47. Garage sales rule! Can't wait to see your finds!

    ReplyDelete
  48. 200 families? We used to do something like that when we lived in the city, but never had that many participants. Where is it you live again? I think I might stop by...

    ReplyDelete
  49. Well one persons crap is anothers treasure.
    Hope you find some crap er treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  50. You mean to tell me there are some people who don't like garage sales? Boo!

    I'm jealous of all the treasures you are bound to find. Have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Ha!...great stuff!

    But that fanny pack.....oh my.....they see you coming, don't they? :-D ha ha J K.....

    Gee...I hope you get some great stuff......and let us see! :-)

    Hope you and yours are having a beautiful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  52. Ack!!!! Swing by my place and pick me up on your way!!!! Can I fit in the trunk??? You are just too lucky! Ready, set, get there.... find some good treasures! Let us know how it goes!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  53. So, did you score lots of steals?? I think you should post a pic of your fanny pack totin' self!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I do love cheap but somehow I can't get into garage sales. I think I'm too lazy for them.
    I do love that fanny pack though!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Garage sales are the best!! Better than ebay or craigs list. Let us know what you found.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I hope you got some great stuff.

    I LOVE garage sales.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, I love reading (and returning) them! Tell me how you really feel!! bow chika bow wow...