Friday, August 21, 2009

My Ritalin love affair...

I'm not sure who's happier it's Friday, me or Mason's new first grade teacher? That poor poor dear unsuspecting woman. Maybe I should buy her a fruit basket to try and win her over! Because by the time Mason's done with her she's gonna need therapy and a straight jacket. I'm just speaking from experience. Because in case you didn't know, while Mason is a funny, loving, sensitive, and giving little boy..... he is also a bouncing off the wall, never stops talking, doing a little jig in the corner, holy crap do you ever stop moving, little bit of sass with a whole lotta crazy little boy. Needless to say Ritalin is my best friend. My BFF. We were destined for eachother...if we were a celebrity couple our name would be Riticia. But I digress...

So now that school has started, that means his Ritalin dosage goes up a touch. I was really concerned about this because my little man is a friggin stick. He makes Kate Moss look chubby. Ok, not really that skinny, but I wanted to say that. But he's pretty thin and I was concerned that raising his dosage would cause him to lose more weight. (Don't we all wish we had this problem?) So I called up the trusty pediatrician to talk about some options for Mason and you know what he tells me??? (This is the part that life's just truly unfair)


He tells me that I need to give him a big bowl of ice cream with a big cup of milk EVERY night before bedtime.


Sphincter says what?!


Yup. Ice cream and milk. That's why doctor's get paid the big bucks. He went through YEARS of higher education to prescribe that treatment. He proceeded to tell me some bull about how it will make up for the calories he loses during the day...blah blah blah. Don't mind me, I'm just jealous.

But do you realize what that means for him?? That means that on days like today where he proceeded to:

- fart in class and tell everyone about it (that's my boy!!)
- bust out his lunch in the middle of class and start eating while the teacher is in the middle of a lesson!
- tell the crossing guard all about how mommy was nekked
- and throw a colossal fit over who knows what...

that he gets to have a huge bowl of ice cream??? WHAT THE FRACKITY FRAK?! This is like every parent's worst nightmare. What did you say Mason? You punched your brother in the mouth? Here, have some ice cream. You were playing with matches in the neighbors garage? Why don't you tell me all about it over a bowl of ice cream. This higher dose better be worth it!! Or else Riticia will be breaking up! Keep your fingers crossed for today!

peeee essss- I'm a guest blogger over at Made You Blush....go check it out!

peee eessss essss!! Holy crap today's my day!!! I'm featured at Project Mommywood as a finalist for Mommy blogger of the year!! (i'm still trying to figure out who was riding the crazy train that day and nominated me!!) Go check it out!!! My baby blog is up against the big dogs!!

60 comments:

  1. Oh no. It's funny...it is. So Ritalin makes you lose weight huh?? Know where I can get some?? just joking...kind of ;) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lose weight? Ritalin..hhmmmmmm (just kidding). I would think Dr CorkmaDorkin could have figure out sugar+small child=hyper.
    p.s Good idea on bribing the teacher. I have one of those scenarios this year too. Know where I can get a cheap fruit basket/ (might as well plan these out ahead of time!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ritalin? Don't know if they have Brit-side, will deffo try and get some on the black market - could do with losing a few pounds.

    Mind you, I need MORE energy, not calming down!!!

    Sheesh.....

    LBM xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha! ohh God bless his teacher! for sure she's going to be entertain, we know that for SURE! he farted in the class and told everyone about that! hahaha! can't stop laughing!
    You remind me Lynette from Desperate Housewives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder BFF was suggesting Ritalin...

    ReplyDelete
  6. ARe you kidding me!!! A bowel of ice cream!!!?? wont that make it worse? seriously with all of that sugar running through his veins? Holy Crow!!

    Good Luck wit the teacher & the ice cream, i can tell there might be war for who shot guns it first!!

    x
    x
    x

    Lady Sunflower

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just not fair. If I ate ice cream every night before I went to bed, it would not be a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do I sign up to be a ting on the hyperactive side? Seriously. I need to lose a few and I sure do love me some icecream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol that was funny.....hope you manage to bribe her

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ice cream diet. Wouldn't that be awesome!? Good luck! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those crazy doctors! LOL!

    I guarantee that is one prescription I will never be written...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm jealous too, I look at a bowl of ice cream and gain weight (not that it stops me from consuming the whole bowl).

    ReplyDelete
  13. PS- just read your guest post and wasn't sure if you'd be checking the comments... check out this website. Thought you'd like it: http://www.youparklikeanasshole.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh lord.....hmmmm....well is there something that is fattening but tastes like crap? hmmm...I"ll have to think about that one and get back to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy crap you're funny! I just stumbled upon your Blog and I'm so thrilled to have found you.

    Stop by and say hi over at my little Bliggidy Blog.

    XO
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness...i think this just cured the babyboy fever i've been building up to explode onto c when he gets home...hahaha...uh.i just don't know if i was made to handle anything outside of glitter and pink...hahaha! just kidding of course...i've heard more than my fair share of how exactly a little boy loves his mama...just a different kind of bond from what i've been told...

    well lady hope you have a fantastic friday and i am fairly certain i will be stalking...er talking to you all weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sphincter says what indeed!

    Is this guy a real doctor or is he a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor (Scrubs, thank you!)?

    Let me know if that works out because that is interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wait...
    ritalin makes you skinny??? umm...where do i sign up! hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i don't know why, but when you said he busted out his lunch during class, i lost it. i guess i just picture my non existent kid doing that "what? i was hungry"

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was thinking more along the lines of Milk PLUS 2 heaping scoops of chocolate whey protein or something, because, really, ice cream? Um, that has SUGAR in it, and Its BEDTIME... prob not so much. We are trying to SAVE our Sanity here right? But I feel you girl, Tre is BONES I tell you. Thats what his nickname should be. ITs scary, I Made him get on the scale yesterday. 43 lbs. and he is 7!!!! 7! UGH! Scares the crap outta me. And what sucks worse is that he is the pickiest child on the planet and I can only get him to eat so much. Can I give him a BIG bag of doritos? Will that be like the icecream? ugh! Love you! Hang in there and make the kid worms in Dirt. Atleast it LOOKS gross.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow. I think that pedi is a quack. There are tons of other ways to up his calories without super dosing him with sugar (can we say hello diabetes?) Anyways, good luck girl, sounds like you have your hands full :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. my oldest used to hide his snack inside his desk and that nosh away throughout the day. needless to say, this did not fly with his catholic school teachers. sigh. i voted for you, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! Seriously?! Ice cream? HIs answer to give him a treat full of sugar? Okey dokey then... I'm hoping you will post later about the results of putting this doctor's theory to the test. Side note: I could never be a teacher, 'cause farts make me laugh and I'd probably high-five your son if he farted in class and told me about it, he he!

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha... i love your stories.. they are so funny

    off to see the guest blog and to vote for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Does it HAVE to be ice cream? I'd be thinking the same thing as you. Maybe if he doesn't behave during the day you can give him a bowl of lard instead? I'm kidding - I think, lol. I don't know how I'd deal with that with Punky. Then again, I don't think that'll be an issue. She isn't on any meds, and keeping her away from chips and candy is like trying to get Branjelina off the cover of People.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like you are having a bit of fun there, Alicia! Good luck with little Mason, he sounds like the most adorable handful. And good luck on Mommy Blogger of the Year! I just found your blog via Made You Blush, and I love it!

    On your guest post... TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!! Ugh, such a pet peeve of mine. I pride myself on being a perfect parker, and I'm not afraid to dent away if you are not! LOL

    ~ Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds a little like the Ben & Jerry's Stressbusters Diet. I'll have to investigate adding milk to the mix...

    ReplyDelete
  28. My friend had to do that with her daughter. She was scary skinny there for awhile. She just started tons of high calorie snacks and she finally put on a little weight.

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my hell, you are too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ice cream?! Will he sleep after that sugar? It's funny, but not, ya know? Poor you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoa. That is a toughy. Maybe you could put tobascoe on the ice cream when he's bad!?!?! Taylor=evil.

    ReplyDelete
  32. oooh! oooh! super pumped they used the photo of you with mon mustachios! Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just came from Aubrey's blog so naturally I had to come over and read more about you. Love your blog! It's just what I need to start my day laughing.

    Ice cream before bed, that's the life.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats!!!

    When I was in high school, there was a really super-thin girl who couldn't gain weight. The doctor had her drinking milkshakes every night before she went to bed. I was SO envious of her, getting to drink milkshakes. But then I went through a period where I wondered if those weren't just protein shakes...as I got older and learned more about that sort of thing. I'd always assumed ice cream shakes when we were young. Now I'm once again thinking maybe it was actual ice cream shakes!

    ReplyDelete
  35. you are hilarious lady!
    i know i can always stop by for a good laugh, haha!
    i would say i'm jealous that he gets to eat ice cream before bed but i'm not an ice cream fan at all. i hope the sugary treat doesn't make him want to stay up all night jumping on his bed ;)
    i read aubrey's blog, idiot parkers are soooo annoying!!
    now off to vote for you...that is if i didn't already.

    ReplyDelete
  36. "Sphincter says what?!"

    Had me totally laughing too loud!! Cute blog and hilarious posts!!!

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Not to self....start bouncing off the walls and get really really hyper so that I can go to the Dr and get diagnosed with adult ADHD and I can get on Ritalin so I can lose weight and eat ice cream every night. It is a dream come true.


    ppppppeeeeeeee eeeeesssss Love Riticia

    ReplyDelete
  38. Okay, so I've seen your avatar on a lot of the blogs I read so I thought it was high time I came and checked your blog out. We obviously have similar taste in reading material!!!

    Yeah, the pediatrician has to be smoking crack to suggest a bowl of ice cream before bed. I'd meet that suggestion with, "Okay, no problem. And what's your address....just so I can be sure to drop him off for a sleepover when he's done eating his big bowl of ice cream". I love how doctors give advice like that without even thinking about what the consequences mean for US parents.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Like always, you crack me up Alicia. I'm so glad I found your blog! You make me laugh every.single.time I read it. You rock!

    Hope things end up good! Have him eat some ice cream for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  40. HAHAHA...

    and who doesnt love ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  41. OMG I hope the Ritalin helps. My brother is on Strattera or maybe he's on another one for his ADHD and he's so darn skinny it's insane. He's been using it forever and I guess he'll never be fat. Lucky him! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ritalin huh? Makes you lose weight? Can I have his leftovers if he is done with it?!?! Just kidding...kinda! :-)

    I just have to say that one of the things I love about reading your blog is you know how to see the humor in every situation! A lot of moms would be all on their high horse preaching in this situation! I love that you keep it real and keep it fun. You are an awesome Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just added your button to my Blog. I totally have a Blog crush on you.

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  44. I voted for you...you totally deserve it!!! Woop woop!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Long live Riticia!

    Ice cream and milk before bed ROCKS! I did ice cream every night while pg with Savannah - - and gained 65 lbs!! ;P

    However, I hear calcium before bed helps them drop off to sleep FAST! Maybe a double benefit!

    ReplyDelete
  46. OH, and I totally voted for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I gave you an award on my blog today:

    http://stephie5741.blogspot.com/2009/08/ive-been-awarded.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. I hope the ice cream and milk help. I make milkshakes a lot for my older boy to try to fatten them up from the ritalin (vyvanse - form of ritalin that is slow releasing over 12 hours)

    I agree the pills are magical!! Both my boys are off it on a non school day. When school is in session, both want to take it. They know that they need it to concentrate and to get good grades.

    ADD/ADHD are true conditions. If you child does not have...

    folks kinda do not understand it. They want to say that your kid just needs discipline.

    Again. I totally agree how magical the pills are. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I just scrolled through all the comments. Very nice that there were no anonymous comments judging you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  50. My Luke was my high-energy kid. He used to like to run along side the car when we drove to the grocery store - no joke. Now, I'm chubby - should have been jogging along side with him:( Bad mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  51. ROTFL I love the Wayne's World reference.

    You got SPECIALLY picked to be M's mommy LUCKY YOU! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  52. As a teacher, I am totally with you on Ritalin being a good buddy. But the weight issues can be scary for little kids!!

    Love your blog! It's hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Congrats woman! You are one helluva mommy. And when we gave the dude ice cream he bounced off the frickin' walls. My condolences. Ah ha

    ReplyDelete
  54. congrats again on your nomination - headed to check out both links.

    Props to your boy for eating in the middle of class - when you're hungry - you're hungry :D

    ReplyDelete
  55. bah! that is nuts!!!

    my sister is really thin (even tho she packs in the food -- DAMN HER) and she got pregnant a few years ago. she thought she should start eating healthy for her baby, but she was not putting on enough weight in her pregnancy. so her doctor got concerned, told her to lay off the veggies and brown rice and to EAT WHITE RICE AND ICE CREAM EVERY NIGHT. not fucking fair. at all!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Ahh, I have a son just like that.

    Only he's on Vyvanse, not Ritalin.

    He's also really skinny but I've never been told to feed him ice cream. Innteresting :) Though he does get his fair share of Oreos.

    ReplyDelete
  57. LOL!! you are always soooo funny! thank you for all the great laughs!!

    Hope you are having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  58. well quack quack said I to that stupid doctor.
    What an ASS seriously.
    Ah, yea thats really healthy you jerk off. Lets just give the kid a bunch of crap. How about well, lets set you up to speak to our nutritionist so that we can figure out the best ways to help your son gain some weight the right way.
    And from what I understand you can also help the ADD sometimes as well with certain foods.
    As always your so funny clever thing you!!
    Brittany
    http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  59. Where do we cast our votes? You frackity frack deserve to win. You have expanded my vocabulary something fierce. How about some doughnuts to go with the ice cream?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, I love reading (and returning) them! Tell me how you really feel!! bow chika bow wow...