My kids have their timing all wrong. They never seem to do the things they should do when Daddy is home when he IS ACTUALLY HOME! Nooooo, heaven forbid. They save it all for me. Whoopity-frickin-do. All the diaper explosions. All the projectile vomiting. All the trips to the ER. Yup, all for me. And since we are falling upon the one year anniversary of our worst ER trip to date I thought that I would tell you a little tale.
It was mid-August of last summer and I was around 5 months pregnant with Little Miss Presley. It was early in the morning and Jordan had left not too long before for work. Boogie was still asleep in his crib like the angel baby that he was, before the devil's juice started pumping in his veins on his second birthday that is, and a 4 yr old little Mason was running a muck like he normally did in the morning.
Now I hadn't been awake long and as I was waddling my way to the bathroom, probably picking my wedgie at the time, I could hear Mason running laps around the living room, through the kitchen, and around the front room. Round and around and around and WHAM!
My heart dropped into my stomach.
Then came the shriek.
I ran to the front room and saw Mason standing there, head gashed wide open. And I mean WIDE open, dripping in blood. I know!!! ON MY CARPET!! I kid. I joke. Settle down. I was concerned about him first, then the carpet.
As I swept him up in my arms and did a quick assessment of the situation I found that Mason had ran straight into the corner of the tile counter. He had hit with such force that he literally cracked the tile OFF OF THE COUNTER. To this day it is still cracked and serves as a daily reminder to not run in the house! But I digress...
As I held him bleeding in my arms I did the first thing that came to mind. A towel! I needed to apply pressure to the wound, that much I knew. But I was terrified! I didn't know the severity of the wound and my crazed pregnant hormones were on an emotional rampage. Struggling to stay calm and bawl at the same time I ran next door to the neighbors house. I pounded on the door and my neighbor came out and went into emergency mode as soon as he saw the state Mason was in. The next few minutes were a blur. The Mrs called 911. The Mr held Mason and applied pressure to his head. And I...well...I looked down to realize that I wasn't wearing pants. Nope. There I was in their living room, their 6 kids staring wide eyed at the entire situation, sitting in my skivvies and a pajama top. Sighhh. Of course. At the time, that was the least of my worries.
By the time I secured Boogie with the Mrs, found a pair of pants, and borrowed some shoes we were herded into the ambulance on our way to the ER. Now you're probably wondering how Mason was faring through out all of this. Let me just tell you. HE LOVED IT! In 2 minutes flat he had won the hearts of the firefighters (yeah, they came out for it too, this was a big deal in our town that morning) and of the paramedics. As they strapped him to the gurney they adorned him with stickers and a stuffed animal. What did the crazy pregnant chick with mascara running down her puffy face get? Nothing. Except maybe a few judging looks and a couple of tsk-tsks.
As we pulled into the hospital parking lot I see Jordan and I breathed a sigh of relief. Then I remembered he had taken his motorcycle to work that day and after doing the math in my head I'm afraid to even ask how fast he was going. All I know is it was WAY faster than legal, or safe for that matter!
After assuring every firefighter, paramedic, nurse, and doctor that I didn't beat my kid we were settled into a room. Mason basked in the attention and the staff was more than willing to give the sweet little boy with the horrid gash any and every thing he asked for. 3 stitches and a row of staples later we were on our merry way home. On the bright side, he did sit on the couch for the rest of the day, giving me a little and much needed break.
So the moral of the story: always wear pajama bottoms to bed in case your kids decide to bleed profusely from the head before breakfast!
This was part of Mama Kat's writer's workshop, go on and check her out!














Pants are important! Of course so is putting your shirt on right side out when rushing to the ER with the kids. Ask me how I know that little factoid.
ReplyDeleteLOL! About the no pants, of course, not the head injury.
ReplyDeleteouch! What a trooper he is!
ReplyDeleteand the pants thing would totally have happened to me.
i will totally keep that in mind! i'm so bad about getting ready to take the dog outside...and then realize i have no pants on...
ReplyDeletebut i've not gone out yet!
:)
glad mason is ok!
Now that must have been super scary and well for the pants our pride gets too much in the way hahah we should be less conforming and rigid
ReplyDeleteWhat a tough little guy. You must have been terrified.
ReplyDeleteI.would.have.freaked!!! Oy My Gosh! I'm not a squeamish person but I have a feeling that when it comes to my kids I am going to be a wreck...isn't any mother?
ReplyDeleteI assume that since you didn't mention the blood splatter on the carpet being a reminder not to run ti came out?? I hope so ;)
Oh my...that is an ugly one. Glad everything worked out ok and hey...at least you had the skivvies on!
ReplyDeleteoooohhhhh-poor baby! I am so surprised this hasn't happened in my house yet- wait let me knock on wood ****
ReplyDeletelol I love that last picture and that you blocked out his boob! hilarious! you are so funny!
ReplyDeleteWHOA...poor baby. I'm going to remember this and maybe post a copy of his pic with the owie to our corners so my kid remembers to walk, not run.
ReplyDeleteSo would have been me in my underwear with unshaved everything and a teeshirt...crying like a maniac.
Thanks for sharing. Hope the recovery time was ok. For both you and him :)
Stopping by from SITS.
I sleep nude. I guess it's a good thing my daughter is grown.
ReplyDeleteI think head wounds on kids are the scariest looking, even when they don't need stitches. Blood just seems to pour from it, and when they stand up, they have a face full.
ReplyDeleteLove the censorship of the body parts in the pic (I'm too shy to type boobie...oops, maybe I'm not).
But did you at least have on CLEAN underwear???
ReplyDeleteHallie :)
Oh my girly! I think you've got a better tale than i on this one. My kiddo fell out of a shopping cart straight to the floor and split their head open. They decided to unbuckle themself and roam freely...NOT the thing to do. Love the smiles afterwards and the fact that you were standing in your skivvies :)- When things like this happen, our minds are racing and of course we don't think about the obvious. Luv ya ♥
ReplyDeleteomg i'm amazed he was going so fast!
ReplyDeleteWow, I ironically just wrote the importance of wearing clothes to bed in case you need to call 911! Ahhh, universal truths!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, OH MY GOD. I'm bubble wrapping my future children in my mind. Second of all, your censor bar is cracking my shit UP! Lol! Still adorable, even with a head wound. Bandaged, that is.
ReplyDeleteGood GAWD! That is by far one of the worse gashes I've ever seen. Poor boy! Poor Mom!
ReplyDeleteHead cuts are the worst for blood!! Even a small nip produces a gusher. I bet your house looked like a crime scene. Kudos for calling 911. I would have asked for a ride to the hospital from the neighbor. The ambulance was the better choice.
ReplyDelete....my dad cut himself through the chin with a chain saw. He held his jaw/face together with my moms best guest room towels for the car ride to the hospital. Just nasty. He left a trail of blood in the snow that was there until the snow melted a couple month later.
I will always remember my pants now, thanks to you!
ReplyDeleteSteph @ Stick It in the Fridge
pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com
Oh my gosh!! I wonder if my little dude is ever going to put me through something like this...I would probably forget my pants too! LOL
ReplyDeleteHave a great day!
I had to read this in two parts (not for the squeamish applies to me). I made it up to the photo then had to take a break before finishing it. So smart to call 911. Glad he's okay.
ReplyDeleteI sleep in a tee and always have a pair of hangin' out pants next to the bed for that exact reason. Not sure I would remember to put them on in an emergency but the pants are at the ready.
Pants are optional when there is bleeding from the head, at least that's been my rule. I thought that was the norm.
ReplyDeleteEek! There were several moments like that for my mom when we were growing up. I busted my head open twice...my sister at least once.
ReplyDeleteI love your daughter's name. How unique!!!
Only a super mom would run for help when her child needed it before putting on pants.
ReplyDeleteVisiting from SITS and wanted to say hi!
Great blog!
OMG! I would have passed out. As soon as you said you heard a noise, my heart stopped. I'm so thankful my daughter was a prissy missy.
ReplyDeleteAt least you were wearing undies and a top. Fiance sleeps in the buff (bow chika bow wow) however anytime there is a loud noise or something he will go check it out sans clothes giving any potential burglar an eyeful.
ReplyDeleteGlad the little one was okay. I needed 40 stitches in my head at the age of 4 after a car accident. Not a pretty sight!
poor little mason... and poor you with no pants!!
ReplyDeleteawww man!!! That has to be one of the scariest things, if I had children I would have probably spazzed.
ReplyDeletep.s. I love how you used the blue bar to block out his nipple LOL
dude that is funny. i can picture the whole incident in my mind right down to the no pants and wedge. btw did you photoshop censor your son's nipple in that pic? LOL.
ReplyDeleteOMG that is crazy, I can only imagine how crazed you were hence the fact....no pants!
ReplyDeleteOh yeah, and the blanket is almost done!
this is why I don't sleep naked! you just never know!
ReplyDeleteThanks. I really needed to see those pictures again. They made me sick the first time!! Hug and kiss my Nephew for me! Tell him I said, REMEMBER, NO RUNNING!!! xoxoxo Love you Guys!
ReplyDeletepoor baby! glad he's okay. we had to get ten stitches in the mouth of a two year old here. not fun. also, they gave him ketamine to knock him out...yes, the club drug special k, also used as a horse tranqulizer...for my two year old!!!! that was more traumatic for me than the actual injury.
ReplyDeleteSo I was totally crying, imagining all of it, then I read, "I WASN'T WEARING PANTS!" And I almost fell out of my chair laughing so hard!
ReplyDeleteWhy is it that never there is an emergency, no one is dressed. I fall into the category too. Interesting. I am glad that all ended well.
ReplyDeleteWow, you can do math in your head? That is a freak out worthy wound. And is further proof why you should always wear pj's-one of my biggest fears; running outside in an emergency wearing underwear or..you know.
ReplyDeleteThis was touching and funny and I was totally unprepared for the last picture. Thank goodness you censored it. hahahaha.
How do you do that? The picture censor thingee. :)
OUCH!!! That gave me a headache just reading it...well that and thinking about the blood on the carpet. Nice nippy cover up too.
ReplyDeleteOuch! glad he's okay!
ReplyDeleteI always wear bottoms to sleep in case an emergency, haha.
oh my! OUCH!!what a trouper he is! So glad he is ok! :) LOL love the censor!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOWIE!! poor little guy! so glad he was okay!
ReplyDeletetoo funny that you didn't realize you weren't wearing any bottoms, lol! you were just a scared momma, makes for a much better story ;)
wow, i can't believe he cracked the tile. that is one hard noggin LOL
ReplyDeleteOh...my...gosh. That poor boy...and poor pregnant YOU! I'm glad that in the end it all work out swell, even if the neighbors saw you in all of your glory. Who among us would have done anything any differently? Not I, said the red-head. The glares and tsking is sooooo annoying. Its right up there with how negative people feel they need to be when they hear that I am having twins...when they make comments like "oh I could never do it", I politely reply with a smile..."You're right, you probably couldnt". Sheesh, some peoples kids.
ReplyDeleteMy kids always require emergency medical attention at the worst possible times too. Not that I can think of any good times to need medical attention but I digress.
ReplyDeleteOMG POOR THING!!!! Z is literally running circles tight now around the LR & kitchen now it freaks me out!
ReplyDeleteThat was insanely bad! I can't believe his head broke tile too! I'm gad he was seems like it couldn't have been much worse.
OMG POOR THING!!!! Z is literally running circles tight now around the LR & kitchen now it freaks me out!
ReplyDeleteThat was insanely bad! I can't believe his head broke tile too! I'm gad he was seems like it couldn't have been much worse.
OMG POOR THING!!!! Z is literally running circles tight now around the LR & kitchen now it freaks me out!
ReplyDeleteThat was insanely bad! I can't believe his head broke tile too! I'm gad he was seems like it couldn't have been much worse.
AWWW....POOR GUY!!! this pretty much makes my stomach hurt!!! i have two similar instances and yes i just love how the hospital staff questions you about "child abuse" until you're blue in the face!! uggg...it's the worst!! glad you got yourself some pants woman!! and glad you bluebarred his little boob...hahaha!!
ReplyDeleteOMGGG! That was a nasty cut. I'm glad he's fine and you didn't ose much more that your dignity! LOL
ReplyDeleteOMG! How did you not faint? (the blood, not the pants) My son threw up BLOOD after having his tonsils removed and all I remember is the nurse saying, "Mom, Mom? Are you okay?" and she was in a far away tunnel somewhere . . .
ReplyDeleteMy head hurt just looking at it...
ReplyDeleteWow! That gash was nasty. Poor prego lady in her underwear with bleeding child. That was one of those mother hazing moments.
ReplyDeleteAwww poor little guy!!! And you are Super Mom!!! :-)
ReplyDeleteremind me to heed the squeamish warning next time. Did not realize it would involve *blood*
ReplyDeleteP.S. how is the "no running in the house reminder" working out???
Eww! When I was two I was holding onto the window sill and pushed a terracotta plant pot onto my head thus cutting it open - nowhere near as bad as that though! xx
ReplyDeleteKids bounce back way faster than grown up do! When I took my son to the ER for a head wound, he was bored having to sit there and wait for the doc!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! I may have passed out from the nerves and stuff if I saw that on my kids head. OH! Poor baby.
ReplyDeleteIve got an award for ya!
ReplyDeleteAhhhhhh, I'm still shuddering. You are one hellluva mama. I wigged when the dude hit his mouth and there was blood for a few minutes. Stitches? Ahhhhhhhhh
ReplyDeleteohhh my Lord! that looks scary, I mean really scary! poor baby!
ReplyDeleteHOLY OUCH that poor baby that looks like it hurt like HE double hockey sticks.
ReplyDeleteHOPE that heals up nicely for him thank God everything turned out ok.
HORRIFIC! Goes with my theory of little boys and how they need to wear hockey helmets ALL THE TIME!
ReplyDeletep.s Congrats on being in the top 3 for SITS roll call. Good Lord woman, don't you sleep?
Awesome!! 65 comments on his head gash!! Love it. Austin bounced off the kitchen table in his bouncy chair when he was a baby falling right on his head. I also bundled him off to the neighbors to ask for help. She was in the middle of a fancy breakfast with the other older neighbors who did not work. I will never forget their look of shock and amusement at my naiveness as a new mother.
ReplyDeleteOMG that is both a hysterical yet awful post!!!! Glad your sweet boy is ok! I am off to go tell my son to WALK in the house!
ReplyDeleteStopping by from SITS
Now well these are things one can never forget!!!
ReplyDeleteOnce when I was four my chin burst open and my mom and dad had to rush me to the hospital! That was something! And i kept crying like hell!!! But one thing: fortunately my mom had her pants on!!! :P
ROFLMAO..just goes to show you that children can often handle their injuries better than we can! What a hysterical story. You painted such a vivid picture that I felt as though I was the neighbor you went running too. :-)
ReplyDelete~ Sandy
ouch...and he has a huge smile on his face...what a brave little guy :)
ReplyDelete~www.spiritjump.org
I have to say, I always wear bottoms to bed because I am TERRIFIED that the house will catch fire and I'll have to run outside in my less than sexy Fruit of the Looms.
ReplyDeleteBut now, I have a brand new reason!
OUCH!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad he's okay.
I sleep in my skivvies too. I probably should put on some pants just in case but wearing pants aren't as comfortable.
We've had a few moments when an emergency came up and we were trying to run around and get critical stuff together, take care of baby and put on pants at the same time. putting on pants on the run is not easy - but we still haven't really learned our lesson
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! Literally lol'd at thought of you standing with no pants on! Ha!
ReplyDeleteOH my! That is really scary! I just went through a similar accident with with my 3yr. She was jumping on the bed. Yep...didn't read that book to her enough I guess! LOL She ended up with a gash above her eye and 4 stitches. Scary to go through for sure!! I think we were all tramatized by it! LOL Glad your little guy did OK.
ReplyDeleteholy crap thats a heck of a gash! Glad to hear he was a trooper.
ReplyDeleteand why is it that things like this always seem to happen when dad is elsewhere?
Oh, I remember that like it was yesterday! Can't believe you even noticed you weren't wearing pants, I don't think I would've!
ReplyDeletepeee esssss.... I like the blue block out of Mason's nip on the last pic. LOL