Friday, June 19, 2009

My heart hurts...

Do you ever wonder if you're a good person? If you could stand up to do what's right? Help someone out in a time of need? I mean, for real though. I've always wondered how I would respond or react when faced with certain situations. Example: You see a guy shoving around and yelling at girl....Do you intervene before he gets violent? Or do you let them handle their own business? Are you too scared to approach? Would you wonder what happened after you left? Sorry for the depressing example, it's the first thing that came to mind.

Well today I received a partial answer to my endless questions. Brooke and I were out and about, returning from a trip to Pottery World. It was lunch time and we were absolutely famished. We were getting ready to go pick up some food when for some reason or another I decided that I wanted to go pick up my boys (the boys were at grandma's while Presley had a girl's day out) first. Making this decision completely changed our route.

So on route to our new destination we saw something up ahead in the middle of the road, but we couldn't quite make out what it was. As we drove closer we gasped in shock as we realized it was an elderly man sprawled across the ground, his motor scooter strewn on the ground partially broken, and his belongings were scattered across the sidewalk. We quickly pulled over and ran over to him, struggling to get his legs free from his scooter so we could stand him up. The sweet man was so confused. You could just see in his eyes that he had no clue what was going on. His poor arms were thrashed from where he hit the asphalt and there's no doubt in my mind that his fragile body ached, seeing as how he could barely stand. We asked him if he needed a doctor or if he had someone we could call for him and he politely declined. Which I'm totally kicking myself in the butt for now, I totally wish we had called so he could have at least been checked out.

At this time another guy pulled over across the road and ran over to help. Following him was an unmarked policeman (who was kind of a d-bag, not gonna lie). We could tell that the sweet man was from the retirement village just up the street, and as Brooke and I cleaned him up, gathered his belonging, and returned his glasses my heart just started to hurt. We made sure he was in good hands and that there was nothing more that we could do. But as we sat in the car, emotion just overwhelmed us both. There was something so heart wrenching about seeing this poor gentleman in the street that just struck a cord with me. I found myself wondering if he had family around? Did they visit? Was he lonely? Why didn't anyone else STOP?! It happened on a main street, there were cars everywhere, and it was apparent he hadn't just fallen....so WHY hadn't anyone STOPPED?! The more we thought about it, the angrier it made us. I was torn between anger and sadness...that's never a fun combo.

I'm grateful for that still small voice that made me change my mind, that made us change our route. This experience isn't something I've hoped to experience, but now that we did, I'm glad to know that we stopped. We helped. We rock. Brooke gets my Good Samaritan of the day award!!

Ugh...when did I get so emotional? Freak my emotions are going on rampage! Stupid stupid stupid period. Sometimes being a girl sucks! Sorry for the emotional, and rather novel-ish, post. That's so not like me. I wish I would have given the old guy a hug and brought him over for some milk and cookies while the kids played and adopted him as their own special Grandpa...oh well.
But I can't end a post all bah-hum-bug.....so look at this picture! How can you not laugh?!


Ya gotta love The Hoff!!

29 comments:

  1. You girls ROCK...seriously!!! That is the sweetest thing i've heard all day. In fact, all week :) I would have done the same. It's these little voices in our head that make us change our route for a reason. God had this planned for you to come to his rescue as others did not. Our emotions are the best & worst at times. But i must say i love being a girl and having the ability to show them. It's those that don't who have a hard heart.
    {I'd rather be a sappy mess than a rock}
    Ha...your photo of the HOFF made me giggle so and guess who else came to mind? Richard Simmons. How funny would these two be in a workout video dressed as such?
    ~Have a wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did an amazing thing. It's always hard to when you see someone hurt or in need and it's never a good feeling, leaving and not knowing how things ended up. You get a gold star from me today!

    PS - You have no idea HOW crazy yet.

    PPS - I LOVE YOUR BOXERS!!! I have 5 (yes 5) Boxers and I volunteer for Red Dirt Boxer Rescue trying to find them good homes all accross oklahoma. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That makes me so sad. I would feel the same way. I am so glad you stopped. I would have to. I always wonder that crap. WHY THE F DON'T PEOPLE STOP!?! What if it were you there? Or am family member??? OMG That's so horrible.
    You deserve a Good Samaritan award too. You rock girl! That's why you're one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lady...you and your heart are amazing...don't be angry at others because he was yours to discover...don't be sad because it is a lesson moment you won't soon forget...be thankful this moment was planned out just for you...your treasures are a'waiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE how you did that at the end. It's all sad and serious (which btw: God must have sent you to that old man, hello, he could've died or something!) and then ya hit us with the Hoff! AWESOME. YOU ROCK!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, you gotta make me "think" after two hard lemonades, huh??
    Well, usually I'm a "do-er". If I see something wrong, I do something about it. If I, for some reason, don't, I end up persevering over it. So I've realized if I just do it, even though it takes time and effort, than I won't worry about it later. The most recent thing I did was make sure to bring the garbage and recycling up to the house for an elderly woman who I see struggle endlessly to bring them back to her house from the curb.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow you guys do rock. i have often had the same questioning what i would do in an actual situation....in actuality i don' t know if i would have responded as well as you guys. but it makes me happy to hear our society isn't completely devoid of compassion and human decency to stop and help an elderly man.

    thanks for ending my work week with this ever so hot and very hairy pic of the hoff!

    you know, i was thinking, since edward's body is like chiseled marble, your hand might hurt giving him his b-day spankin's....but to touch that body, it'd be so worth the pain LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't question what I would do, I know that my instincts would kick in and I would help. Have you ever watched that TV show "What Would You Do?" It's a great way to kind of prepare you for weird situations. It hasn't been on in awhile, I think they air it on ABC 20/20. It's a VERY cool show/ documentary. I think the way we react in most situations is just innate, something we can't control all of the time. Some people are "doers" and "helpers" and some are not. Thankfully there ARE people like us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an experience. What an emotional upheaval, and NOT abnormal at all (PMS or no.)
    Way to go Good Samaritans, and love the Hoff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You taught your daughter a lesson she'll NEVER forget. Good for you!
    Now are you talking about Pottery World in Rocklin
    or Rockland not sure which. My sis and I always go there when I visit her. Lives in Folsom. I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you for stopping to help, you are an awesome human being for helping that poor man. I have been in a similar situation before and I too was left wondering how come all the people walking by didn't care enough to stop and help. Have we gotten so jaded and self absorbed that we just do not care about others anymore?

    Thanks for stopping by! I still sing the "dance magic dance" song to my girls, it's my fav..haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. that is awesome that you stopped...I love hearing stories like this...so I continue to know that the good still outweighs the bad....I think I would have reacted the same way with thinking why did no one else stop....I was in NYC and saw your first example of a guy beating up on a girl...and evryone walked by like it was everyday...until a policeman came and broke it up....scary...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good for you.
    You taught your daughter a very important lesson today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just dropping by to welcome you to the SITStahood!

    You did an awesome thing! I would have felt the same. It's so sad to see how this world behaves sometimes.

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you changed your route. Its sad that so many people probably just went right on by. Im glad you did the RIGHT thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, it sounds like I need to put you to work in our ward a bit. We have so many older fantastic sisters that have no family around. They are the coolest ladies, but for some reason or another live miles or states away from the people they love. They all love kids and just appreciate someone thinking about them. If you're interested I'll tell you some awesome ladies that would love to met you!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  17. That poor man. I'd have pulled over too. I can't believe people just kept going! That's just awful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a wonderful story (about you helping...not about other people passing by!). However, I'm not going to lie, I read this post because I saw David's picture...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are wonderful for helping that man. This whole post made me very emotional! The Hoff. There will never be anyone like him!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's so awesome when you are able to hear and listen to promptings that change your direction and put you in the path to help someone, to deter you from danger, etc. That's awesome.

    I try to remember to ask myself, "What if that were my father, brother, husband, child, etc?" , when I see someone in need of help. I'm so glad you helped him!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE YOU, GOOD SAMARITAN! WHAT IF YOU WENT TO THAT RETIREMENT HOME AND INQUIRED ABOUT HIM AND HIS WELL-BEING? IT MIGHT BE THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL RELATIONSHIP! IT SEEMS THAT THE NORM THESE DAYS IS TO BE SO GUARDED, AND PEOPLE DON'T STOP TO DO THE RIGHT THING FOR FEAR OF THE "WHAT IF'S"--VERY SAD!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always call the cops if I see an accident or anything....

    I have seen to many articles about houses on fire, accidents, etc where no one called the cops. Everyone ASSumes that someone else called!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My heart is a little saddened by the thought of that dear helpless man, but lightened knowing that you guys helped him. What an awful thing. Bravo for helping him out. Also for adding a little Hasselhoff to ease the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't think about things like this too much because it makes me sad and my heart ache :(

    There are good people about, and you're one of them for stopping.

    XxX

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good for you! People are TOO wrapped up in their own lives these days. I was working out at the gym the other day and an older lady fell off the treadmill REALLY hard and was flat on her back (I thought for sure she had broken her tailbone).....and NO ONE moved. Everyone just stared! I had to get off the stair mill (3 rows back!) and make my way up to help her up and check on her! I couldn't believe it! Once I got to her then a few others made their way over. Even if she wasn't hurt I at least wanted to EASE her embarrassment a little. I made up a story that I had done the same thing the week before (a little white lie never hurt anyone).

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Over from SITS too!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was so awesome of you guys to stop and help that poor guy! You guys definitely get the Awesomest Peeps award!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have often felt and wondered the same things. I don't understand why people don't stop to help others. When I lived in NY it just broke my heart half the time. And your desire to bring the gentleman home, to "adopt" him into your family also really strikes a cord with me. I am often torn because I sometimes feel so sad for older people, worrying that they're lonley and wanting to befriend them and hear their stories, but at the same time not wanting to be cindescending or patronizing by assuming that they're lonely just because they're older. And, no, the fact that it hurts my heart to think about lonely older people has not yet inspired me to become a regular friend or visitor to an older person in need. Curses! Guilt. Ugh. I suppose my regular practice of rescuing insects from being trapped between the window and the screen (or being squashed by Hubby) is no longer going to cut it. More ugh.

    I second all the comments above that you two are soooo awesome for having stopped.

    And twice as thankful that you closed up with the Hoff. Very thoughtful of you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Now you got me tearing up. Shoot! That poor man, all alone in the road and no one stopped to help him. I hope for their sake, those people are never in a predicament like that. Assholes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comments, I love reading (and returning) them! Tell me how you really feel!! bow chika bow wow...